6 Helpful Tips to DOWNSIZING
Are you thinking of downsizing? It can be a difficult and stressful endeavor, creating a new living space with a lot less room for your existing belongings. Having a plan in place before you downsize can minimize your challenge.
Here a 6 tips to help you move in and fill your new, smaller place, so you can live comfortably.
Step 1 - Start Early
- To avoid the stress of being rushed give yourself plenty of time to start your downsizing, it can take longer than you think.
- You will want to decide on each item whether you want to keep it or you do not need it.
- It is recommended that you start as soon as you decide. Start with getting rid of the items you know you do not need.
Step 2 - Start Small and Work Your Way Up
- Take it room by room.
- Start with the smaller rooms and work your way up.
- Start with the room that you have the least attachment towards.
- Note which rooms will not be in your new home, most of these items you will have to get rid of.
- Garages, basements and storage spaces are often the hardest; this is where the extra ‘stuff’ is.
Step 3 - Keep Clutter Out
This is the most important tip
- Get rid of duplicates
- Most household items do not need duplicates, pick your favorite and toss the rest.
- Quality over Quantity
- Bring the furniture that will make a statement
- Do not try to fit as much as you can into one room, be picky
Step 4 - Avoid “Maybe” Piles
- It is easy to have a “maybe” pile, but this soon can become a huge pile, which will create more work when you have to move it.
- Do you really want to lug these items into your new home and sort through them again?
- Take a good hard look at each item. If you use it regularly, keep it. If you haven’t touched in months or had forgotten about it, toss it.
- Remember, it has to have a place in your new home.
- Donating is an option as you do not have to trash the item.
Step 5 - Get an Objective Opinion
- Get a relative or friend’s opinion on whether to keep or toss.
Step 6 - Find Purpose
- With a smaller home you need to maximize space.
- Every corner should have a purpose and the items you bring should reflect that purpose.
"Be conscious of what you let into your mind, life and environment, and how you choose to spend your time and resources moving forward. This is the secret to feeling whole and living well."
Mary Dykstra, CPO, president elect for National Association of Professional Organizers and owner of Within Reach Organizing Services.
Enter Blog Post Here